Saturday, April 21, 2018

Carer Fatigue

Olwyn was telling me that they had discussed Carer Fatigue at Lymphoma Support Group. When the patient is sad, the carer is sad, when the patient is frustrated, the carer is frustrated, and so on. Its a real roller coaster for both people, although only one is unwell. And when times get tough sometimes the carer feels taken advantage of and angry that their life has been turned upside down.
Fortunately, Duncan has only spat the dummy a couple of times - usually when he is dealing with his own issues - such as selling the business. But lets face it my ill health has certainly upset our retirement plans. Lets hope not for too much longer.
Main Support  Staff.
I posted some pictures of our first plant on facebook and while the intention was to praise Dave and Sandie, I got quite a few texts and emails saying, so nice your friends could help out and you could relax. Relax!! I worked the same hours as them - maybe a bit slower. After Dave and Sandie had gone home we still had to set up for the next day's plant. Luckily I get to drive the car while Duncan lays out the poles and plants and hay. However I feel I do my bit even if it requires a little bit of ingenuity, which is why I am using a curlytail standard and my pegbag when we were doing the marking out so I didn't have to bend down all the time.
I have been reading a book called The Cage by Lloyd Jones. It is not a pretty book to read, but shows what happens when a challenge arises. This is personified by two men who have run away after a disaster they cannot remember. A committee is formed to deal with this situation while the two men are caged.  They just make ineffectual resolutions regarding the two men, eventually they all lose interest and the one remaining man (the other dies through ill health - but nobody notices) is finally released. Most people have lost interest in my illnesses by now. I try not to mention them but it is hard not to when they have occupied nearly two years of my life. People who are well often think it is my fault and suggest things I should eat or exercise I should do or pills I should take. If only it was that simple!!

No comments:

Post a Comment