Wednesday, April 12, 2017

March Caravan trip - Wed 22nd, Thursday 23rd

Duncan had to do most of the packing up this morning as I was still feeling a bit tender. However we were still on the road by 10, and headed down the barren road to Napier. The bleak countryside was softened by row on row of purple ericas.
Barry and Liz had told us that the camping ground was very muddy when they were there for Horse of the Year and it still looked pretty unkempt. We were directed to a site with no water access - the office girl's excuse was "I've never been down there".
After setting up and having lunch we headed out to time the route to the golf club and then we went winetasting at Alpha Domus and Ngatarawa. 
Duncan went for a swim in the pool while I had a nap - And then I burnt the dinner!!
Due to the early start tomorrow I had a shower before bed. We are in Melrose place and we have to cut across Coro St, Peyton Place, Ramsay Street and skirt around Footrot Flats to get to the showers - the lighting wasn't all that good either.

It's Duncan's birthday - we are up at 6.30am to get Duncan out to Bridge Pa Golf Course where he is refereeing the Amateur Stroke Play Championship. I don't take the most direct route back to the caravan - but I don't end up in Waipukarau either!
After a bit of housework I headed to Havelock North for some shopping and bought a handbag and a navy necklace of freshwater pearls. The weather was drizzly and not too warm. Back at the golf course I waited for Duncan in the cafe, and then we had lunch with 3 other referees.

The fourth hole - a short par 3. I was hoping I might see a hole in one.
Duncan was a bit damp so we went back to the caravan for him to change before heading out to Elephant Hill and Te Awanga for wine tasting. On returning to Hastings we tried to get a new clothes drying rack in Briscoes "Sale" but the one I had seen in Taupo had sold out (Managed to get one from Gisborne in the "Sale" the following week.) 
We went to a Greek Restaurant called Fiko but the food was only mediocre so we didn't staylong.
My Spanakopita had potato in it which made it quite bland.

Duncan's Lamb kofta were a bit fatty.
Back at the caravan we had a bottle of French Champagne - and it was mediocre too, even though it was from Epernay. Duncan enjoyed his day - especially the emails, phonecalls and facebook hits.



No comments:

Post a Comment