Sunday, December 9, 2012

Stoned

I saw an ad in the paper for PYO nectarines, so this afternnon we went out to do just that! I said to Duncan "Just the one bucket" but of course we came back with two. As I was leaving I said to the lady "I hope the stones come out easily" . "Oh" she replied.
Yes, Oh, indeed - I cant even twist them in half.
Fortunately they are not large - mostly the size of large plums, so I will experiment with cutting off the "cheeks" and bottling the stone parts separately, but as well - or maybe just do them whole. Thoughts as I assembled my jars and bottles take me back to Grandma sitting at our kitchen table in Wylie Street peeling away - even though her mind was going she still managed to peel. Then often Mum would come down at bottling time to give me a hand. And I remember Phyl (101 today - Happy Birthday, Nana) and Alf sitting at the breakfast bar in Stout Street peeling pears.
Still I am all prepared to start early tomorrow morning. Our peacharine tree seems to have succumbed to the incredibly wet winter and I dont think we are going to be able to keep it alive. I was a wonderful crop last year, but we are struggling to keep the leaves on the tree this year

No comments:

Post a Comment