Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Saturday Nite Live (but only just) and Sun-burn-day

After another lavish breakfast we went to the Turtle rescue enclosure at the resort where they allow sick and damaged turtles to recuperate.

 I noticed that the first Turtle we saw was swimming along with one flipper on the side of the enclosure. I was imagining writing a children's book entitled "The turtle who couldn't swim" as it reminded me of a toddler who can't swim clinging to the side of the pool. However when I read the information board I found out that he was blind - I affectionately named him Mr Tappy as he now reminded me of a blind man with a cane. Sadly, but fortunately, Mr Tappy will never be released back into the wild.
Centrally, you can see quite a large turtle, an in the front a group of rocks which have misleadingly been formed into a large turtle shape.

Baby Turtles who lost their Mums

Over the walkway to the dolphin enclosure

There was only one dolphin who was on the "unwell" side  of the dolphin enclosure.

Two small dolphins were also there, having failed to keep up with the migration pod. One family was posing with them, giving the dolphins a kiss and a cuddle - a unique experience, obviously at a price.
Less interesting (but very necessary) from a dynamic point of view was the coral regeneration pond where they try and pick corals which are less prone to bleaching and more resistant to disease. They use these to seed and regenerate coral reefs.
All three of these areas had natural tidal flows. There are bungalows  all around the edge of the shore, but as we look out to sea we can see dark clouds gathering, and just make it back before the tropical downpour starts
Our mini-infinity pool gets refreshed!

A quiet afternoon - my book is exciting, and Duncan does a bit of snorkeling before we head off to dinner at Les Timpaniers for dinner.
The lady from the restaurant who picked us up kept saying "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry" which surprised us as she was on time. When we were in the van she said "I'm so sorry, I am so drunk. It was my sister's wedding today, and I didn't think I had to work." However she manged to serve a tray of drinks and four plates of food at a time, so we hoped she would be OK to drive us back. The meals were lovely, and apart from several "no hands on the steering wheel" moments we survived the trip!

Next morning we had a traditional band serenade us at breakfast. The traditional handmade ukelele is quite triangular  - a bit like a balailika.
 It was a glorious day so we got some flippers and goggles for me and headed down to the lagoon to snorkel. I splashed forward and got clear vision just in time to see a fish - about 9 inches long come and bite my hand! Duncan was a bit sceptical about this, but then it bit me on the ankle!
 I got out and went to sit on a deck chair and google it (tigerbarb fish, aggressive in the mating season) when Duncan came out - he was bitten on the arm - and because he takes warfarin was bleeding for a while. Fortunately we were able to move down the shoreline of the lagoon, and do a bit more snorkelling - we have seen more abundant displays. We also sat in the sun - it was such a pleasant temperature that we both got a little bit pink.
Not us, but another couple kayaking on the lagoon - I didn't trust myself not to fall out so didn't take my camera with me.
In the afternoon we got a kayak and went for a paddle, for the length of the lagoon. I was wearing my Ezibuy Swim shorts - and while they looked really weird, they made sitting in the kayak more comfortable - in fact we thought this was  about the most comfortable kayak we had ever used.
In the evening we went across the road to the Holy Steak House. Not sure how it got that name, but it was excellent! We shared tapas, and then while I had an extravagant chocolate dessert, Duncan had the fish cakes. Everybody was happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment