Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Getting my Saree on.


Duncan went to our convenient little bottle store and got a few supplies in and at 6.30pm we went to Rikke's room. Then since our room was bigger we all went down there. The first thing to go on was the bodice. They are very fitted ( I gather the Indian ladies down't wear a bra.) Fortunately it fitted!!
 The skirt/petticoat had a drawstring waist so that was easily fitted.
 The saree is about 6metres long so quite a thing to sort out. I was told to stand very still - and dont try and help!
Is it a left hand saree or a right hand? Fortunately Rikke and I are both right handed so the scarf - y bit goes over our left shoulder.

The saree gets tucked into the petticoat on the righthand side

Round it goes..

It has been a long day, so my tummy is a bit bloated.

Only one wrap around


Now Natasha does the pleats that go over the shoulder

She has had a trying time in the markets trying to source the correct safety pins to hold the pleating

Somehow now, she does a second wrap around the body

I guess some women get a third wrap around - but not me!

Now the excess is gathered up

Another of the strong safety pins is used

The length is adjusted before the final tuck in

It feels great!!

Me and Rikke.



Natasha rings up Room service and asks if they have a bindi - the red dot indicated a married woman. When that fails, she pops down to reception and asks any of the women in the lobby.

A predinner drink and I'm ready to go!

The waiters look a bit bemused , but agree to take a group photo with Rikke, Natasha and Daniel.
Yes indeed, the highlight of my holiday. It is very comfortable to wear, beautiful fabric with regal peacocks on the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment