Thursday, March 5, 2020

Jaipur to Bombay Wednesday 12th Feb 2020

Today is a bit of a turnaround day as we fly to Mumbai. However there is always something there is always something to watch outside the hotel window - men filling a truck with sand using pannikins, the size of a wok, poor women sifting through rubbish while on the paddock next to them they train Polo ponies.
Due to the apparent inefficiency  of  Indian systems, we leave early for the airport - but of course the plane is late. My seat back is faulty, and I keep reclining throughout the flight. We dive down through the clouds and pollution - I'm not sure whether there is something on our runway, or whether we weren't lined up properly, but we abruptly surged up, pulling up out of the landing and of course putting me into the recline position. We had to circle for another 20minutes before landing. When we finally did make it, I turned to apologise to the lady behind me for my seat. She said "I didn't notice.... we came so awfully close to that hill!"
Another long delay for our bags. The transfer people have been waiting 2 hours - and our hotel is 26km away in rush hour traffic.
Bombay actually looks like many modern cities from this distance.

There is a very fancy causeway, and the promenade looks nicely done.
Our room is pitifully small and they can't give us another one. We can't open up our suitcases. There appear to be many other disgruntled customers.
We go down for dinner and have to share a table with Rikke from Denmark, Daniel from Britain and Natasha from Goa in India.
Easy access  - not.

Not much other room in our room

Its hard to tell from my photo but there was food and toothpicks etc on the floor

Peeling paint
However!!!!... the conversation flows (I'm adjusting to that India Tempranillo). I say that I would love to get dressed up in the full saree outfit. Natasha says "I can help with that" but first I will have to buy a saree which I don't want to do. Rikke offers hers. And my response is "If you lend me your saree, Natasha helps me get into it, I will make a donation to the ashram for abused women that Rikke has been helping out at." We agree to meet tomorrow night for the action!

No comments:

Post a Comment