Sunday, August 7, 2022

A Bad Week

 I sat down last Saturday to write a BLOG entitled Not Such A Good Week, but the projectile vomiting called a halt to that. It all began Sunday week ago when we went to go to Elvis, but when we arrived at the theatre  - and me in my blue suede shoes - we were told that Elvis had left the building! In fact, the theatre was full!! never mind we had a lovely meal at Portofino.

I upped my swimming to 20 lengths on Monday, and then we took the snatches of fine weather to continue our farm work. On Tuesday, we were just sitting down after a busy morning when Sandie rang to say that she could help with a harvest that afternoon, so off we went but I felt decidedly unwell after doing some raking and had to let them finish off. After a wee rest I was ready to go to book club, at Teressa's which was very enjoyable.

More wet weather, and Duncan got the big mower bogged down, and then got the car bogged down, however we were saved by using a pair of his old pyjamas wedged under the tires which were very slick with mud. We were covered in mud, and I resorted to a bath - the shower nozzle in our ensuite would not turn off, and we had had to get the plumber to cap it as there are no parts in Gisborne (sigh).  A quick meal was called for, so I got a packet of butter chicken mix which said Use BBQ chicken or fresh breast meat. It didn't say whether to cook the chicken, so I didn't. Hence my conviction that I had food poisoning.

On Friday I felt pretty seedy, and when the car got bogged down again, I referred Duncan to the AA. Fortunately the AA man was extremely jolly, reporting many instances like this all over  Gisborne. The vomiting started on Saturday, and Sunday was a bit of a blur. On Monday I rang our practice nurse, and she said it did sound like foodpoisoning, but set me up with a phone appoint with the doctor at 3pm. At about 1pm I had a phone call from Dan, our doctor to say he had fast tracked me through to the Medical Team and I should go to ED immediately. Suspected bowel blockage rather than food poisoning. Which was a shame as Margaret our nurse had suggested iceblocks, and I was enjoying them!

Well, it wasn't really FAST track, but I think it was faster than usual. After scans, xrays, bloods it was up to the ward.




No comments:

Post a Comment