Monday, August 8, 2022

Microcosm of society in the spotlight

 Faye Tau Tau was in the same year as Jill. She is my afternoon nurse. She always comes to work, immaculately made up, and her work is neat and precise, and she can multitask. We can always find something to talk about and have a laugh. My morning nurse is Cajin Irwin. She has a wonderful, tender respectful way about her, especially when she has to shower me in the morning. She has just her state exams to go before she is fully registered. Sometimes she just comes in to see how I'm going, and have a chat. I called into the ward supervisor to give her a commendation as I was leaving

In the bed opposite is Marama. She is a highly respected Coast identity, now working on Maori Initiatives for the curriculum for the Department. Her son is Nehe Millner Skudder, who was an All Black until his shoulder was ripped away and a botched operation followed. The biggest battle was to get this acknowledged by the Rugby Union and allow a competent person to do a reconstruction. We talk about teaching, Coach Foster, and how Sam Cane's brain looks like its on the blink, also people we know in common. Her partner is in charge of the East Coast Roads and as another deluge falls, more slips fall, bridges fall, things get a bit tense.

Gail is diagonally across and she was injured some years ago in a head on fatal crash on the Matata Straight. Unfortunately her repairs have collapsed  and now one leg doesn't work anymore. They fly her to Waikato. She is extremely worried about the flight, and Asks "How will I get aboard the plane???" I tell her "When I was very sick, they used a forklift". Everyone laughs - some in disbelief.

On the last night we have a a very damaged young teenager take Gail's bed. She is crying, weeping with stomach pains for which no cause appears to be found yet. She is too frightened to have the light turned out, so it glows all night.

In the room next door we have another lady with dementia, she won't allow anyone to touch her and wails "Help Me, Help me" while the nurses give her what care they can.

The doctors are fleeting, but it is reassuring to see they have quite a large panel of them. My operation is on Tuesday afternoon and goes extremely well, and I look forward to having a some food. Unfortunately my nasogastric tube gets in the way, and it aches to try and hold it to the side. Soon after I have eaten then come and aspirate the icecream and jelly out of my stomach, so that it doesn't pass onto the bowel too soon.

I never ever get the food I've ordered. The urn tea is undrinkable and the milo comes pre-sugared. Cajin brings me peppermint tea from the nurses station when she can.

Just being able to have a teaspoon would have made a huge difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment