Friday, January 24, 2020

Lyn's Birthday Painting Week 4

Its a bit nerve-wracking putting putting dark features on a painting as they take a lot of work to alter, let alone remove. There is a theory that you never use Black on its own in a painting (except perhaps an outline), so my dark features are done with Green Black, but when you look at this painting at dusk, they appear black silhouettes. I've had to go down to the beach when I walk with the girls where there are lots of Norfolk Pines and Pohutukawa. It is very difficult as nature doesn't always conform to what we have in our minds eye which is much more symmetric and orderly.

Putting in the trees

The top of the Pohutukawa (caution wet paint.

Water detail and the grasses on the sandspit. In real life there aren't as many grasses

Surprisingly, the trunk of pohutukawa trees is not usually seen as there is quite a bushy base to the tree

More sky and tree detail
I've asked Duncan what he thinks, and he feels the weak spot is the sandspit. But I worry that if I alter that I will end up needing to do the estuary again, and at present I am very happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment