Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Lyn's Birthday Painting


Week 1
This Blog will be updated every week throughout the execution of the work. I will give you some of the insights on the work, and hopefully by the end you will know so much about it that even if it's a bit odd you will know it so well that you can't help but love it.
Most paintings are based on the division of the canvas into thirds, both horizontally and vertically. This is known as the Golden Section (help here from the Beginners guide to painting with acrylics - thanks Simon and Jackie) I also knew about this when Phyl was painting and in one of her paintings you can faintly see the outline in pencil of this division. The focal point is somewhere in the middle.
But the photo Lyn has given me to base my work on is in the U shape, as the vertical third lines are tilted. The bottom of the U should lift the viewers eye up into the painting. That Lyn, is why I might put those stones near the shore in real life, but not in the picture

I always start off with Block colours. The sky is orange, the sea is lilac
Just bear with me...

I have to paint the sky upside down






 Then I decided that before I worked more on the sky I might do some of the darker features so I would know how light and bright (or darker) the sky should be.



The hills done with a dobber (sponge on a stick)

1 comment:

  1. great stuff mum, pleased to hear the book has been helpful

    ReplyDelete